Thursday, October 22, 2009

Leadership Qualities (Submission)

At age 15 I was a shift manager for a fast food chain. By the age 17 I was on weekly salary running the 2ND shift while still in High School. Just a year or two later I was running my own store as a General Manager. Then a few years later I had a company car and 10 restaurants. Why am I giving you all this useless info? Since the age 15 I have been in a position to lead people. A leader has many qualities that makes them successful, but I never considered submission as a leadership quality.
I recognized this leadership quality in Jesus (which by the way is the greatest leader ever, with more followers than anyone). In Matthew 17:24-27 Jesus shows us this as he teaches it to Peter.
Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, why should he pay temple tax? Jesus had the authority to not pay the tax, but chose to teach Peter by example how to submit to Earthly authority. Jesus, in His sovereignty, had a fish swallow a coin and that same fish took Peter's bait. From that miracle, Jesus had Peter pay the taxes for both of them, demonstrating submission.
Later, in 1Peter 2:13-21 Peter would teach how Christ led by example.
Life experiences shape us, Jesus transforms us.
TRANSFORMATION HOUSE