Monday, October 5, 2009

Integrity of the Family

Luke 1:17 (Message) "He'll drink neither wine or beer. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit from the moment he leaves his mothers' womb. He will turn many sons and daughters of Israel back to their God. He will herald God's arrival in the style and strength of Elijah, soften the hearts of parents to their children, and kindle devout understanding among hardened skeptics - he'll get the people ready for God."

One of the highest priorties of the church is to help in building strong families. Faithfulness and love along with the understanding of proper authority is the basis of the family unit.
The church can help alot in this area but the person most responsible for this is the father. Fathers should spend time with their children, instruct them and teach them without ceasing to live by God's Word and standards. Fathers have to be there emotionally, physically and spiritually for their children. What a great task this is for me on a daily basis with five children, marriage and work. I must admit......I could do alot better. I also think sometimes, when is my time? Like right now.....my daughter and 2 year old son are both yelling at me. One wants his cup filled and the other says the kid shows are off--"Daddy will you change the channel?" I'll be right back....... The joys of being a Father, I got a kiss on the cheek and a "tank you dadieee". It's hard sometimes but the rewards are great.

So fathers, let's step it up and make our families what God intended for them to be. Let's teach them to be faithful to God and His purposes (Ephesians 6:4), let's love and discipline them (Luke 11:11-13) and let's pray for them (John 17: 20-26).