Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Crossing Guard

(1 Peter 4:9) "Offer Hospitality to one another without grumbling"
This morning as I was taking my boys to school I noticed the crossing guard. I have seen him every morning for several months now. This morning was different for me though because it was pouring rain. He is an older man that I suspect is retired. He had a great big raincoat on with rain boots and a smile from ear to ear. The smile is something he always has on his face. He seems to enjoy his job a lot. Never have I seen him without his smile. I don't think I would enjoy it, standing in the cold pouring rain while walking out into traffic to stop the cars so that the kids get safely to school. I have seen the kids run up to him in the mornings and give him a hug, bring him coffee and presents. I bet those days are very rewarding for him, but what about the days those things don't happen. His smile and joy are still there.

His unconditional hospitality and love for the kids is something we should all show to everyone. No matter the circumstance, pouring rain, freezing cold, intense heat, rude people or the rush that you are in. Look past those things, stop for a minute and notice the needs around you. How can you show someone the love of Jesus today? I don't want to cause an inconvenience or hold up traffic or make his job harder, but the first chance I get I'm going to thank him....and I drive my kids to school.

Transformation House