Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Leadership Qualities (Compassion)

This is probably my biggest fault. My wife, Kristen, is always telling me "show some compassion". Leaders tend to be very goal oriented. They see results as the prize--never really thinking how their means of getting there effects others.
The other day I was helping my son with his homework. He was really struggling with some word problems. So it was Dad to the rescue! After I had explained it to him 3 or 4 times I began to grow impatient with him and his lack of understanding. I yelled at him and even called him a name. I just couldn't understand why he didn't get it. I made the situation a lot worse for him. He was in tears! Then, Mommy to the rescue! She came to him and held him in her arms. At this point I felt like a complete jerk. Did I expect my methods were going to get through to him? Where was my compassion and comfort?
God has really worked on me since. He has never yelled at me or called me names when I didn't understand. He has never grown impatient with me. The very first thing we are told in 1 Corinthians 13:4 is that "love is patient".
1 Peter 5:8-10 really helped me on this subject. Maybe one day soon my 8 year old little boy will have compassion on his father and let me help him with his homework again.
Life experiences shape us...Jesus transforms us.
TRANSFORMATION HOUSE